As moms, it’s our job to protect our brood, guide little hearts, create productive citizens, all the while spinning plates and juggling life, as if it’s just another day in the park. We don’t have to pretend to be perfect, rather a work in progress. Just as our kids are going through new phases, so are we. It’s our first time being a mom to screaming infants, wild toddlers & moody teenagers.
We do other moms a disservice by not admitting hard times. Having coffee with a friend, a mentor, finding time to play tennis, golf, whacking a ball, is enough to set us back on track. Even the toughest of jobs has a one or two day break; so take one for yourself. Now, for the Top 10 Mom Confessions…
1) Our house is usually a disaster.
2) We don’t know everything and don’t always like to share.
3) If we never see another episode of Spongebob, Dora or iCarly, I’m sure we’d survive.
4) Playing games with our kids is usually not that much fun.
5) We love taking baths in peace and dream of a hotel room for one (OK, maybe two).
6) We love eating food someone else prepares.
7) We hate sticky things.
We occasionally make mistakes / Sometimes we’re wrong (though rarely LOL).
9) It’s hard to ask for help.
10) And drum roll please . . . When the baby’s diaper has a blow out, we sometimes say: Go Get D-A-D!
Hang up the Super-Mom Cape and make your way to the kitchen – as you step over race cars, Lego blocks and soccer equipment that’s set up like a mine field. Grab yourself a coffee or a hot tea, take a deep breath, and realize you don’t have to be something you’re not. Don’t create expectations you can’t maintain. So as you’re taking a bubble bath and little notes are being passed underneath the door – because you told them not to knock – take a deep breath and know it’s happening to millions of other moms out there. This is nothing new under the sun. It’s job security and you are set.
Here’s to living the best version of YOU. Don’t forget to BREATHE!
written for http://www.women.com